I&D for Instagram
Inclusion & Diversity on Instagram
As a visually driven channel, Instagram offers a meaningful opportunity to visually celebrate our approach to inclusion and diversity through still images, videography or other graphics.
In addition to using the creative guidelines to evaluate each piece of content (e.g., feed posts, stories, reels, IGTV videos, etc.), content creators should also look at the collective feed to ensure that over time, the full collection of feed posts in particular showcases inclusion and diversity.
- Add the alt text component to your Instagram posts on the screen where you write your caption and add any other tags to the post. Tap on the Advanced Settings option on this upload screen.
- Then tap on the Write Alt Text section to access the screen to add your text.
- On the next screen, you see the image you’re tagging and a text box where you can write your alt text description. Add your alt text accordingly and tap Save when complete to return to the post upload screen.
- To change the alt text of a photo after you've already posted it on Instagram:
•. Go to the photo and tap the menu.
• Tap Edit.
• Tap Edit Alt Text in the bottom right.
• Write the alt text in the box and tap Done.
Automatic closed captioning is available for Feed Videos, IGTV Live and IGTV. For accurate captions, video captions can be burned in or encoded in advance.
Adding Auto-Generated Caption (Via Native Instagram App)
- Open the Instagram App and select which video you want to add captions to.
- Click the three dots on the top right of the post and click “Edit.”
- Click “Advanced Settings.”
- Turn on “Show Captions.”
- Navigate back to the previous screen and click “Done” at the top, right of the screen.
Instagram Story Captioning
Add captions to your Instagram Stories videos with custom text. If filmed within the app, a person can record themselves speaking to the camera and then choose the “caption” sticker that will auto-generate captions.